Tuesday, December 27, 2011


From: Phil Jones <p.jones@uea.ac.uk>
To: Tom Wigley <wigley@ucar.edu>, Steven Sherwood <Steven.Sherwood@yale.edu>
Subject: Re: David Douglass
Date: Wed May 28 17:25:27 2008
Cc: santer1@llnl.gov, "Thorne, Peter" <peter.thorne@metoffice.gov.uk>, Leopold Haimberger <leopold.haimberger@univie.ac.at>, Karl Taylor <taylor13@llnl.gov>, Tom Wigley <wigley@cgd.ucar.edu>, John Lanzante <John.Lanzante@noaa.gov>, ssolomon@frii.com, Melissa Free <Melissa.Free@noaa.gov>, peter gleckler <gleckler1@llnl.gov>, Thomas R Karl <Thomas.R.Karl@noaa.gov>, Steve Klein <klein21@mail.llnl.gov>, carl mears <mears@remss.com>, Doug Nychka <nychka@ucar.edu>, Gavin Schmidt <gschmidt@giss.nasa.gov>, Frank Wentz <frank.wentz@remss.com>

Ben et al,
Definitely the right response - so agree with Tom.
I have been known to disagree with him, and he's not
always right.
Submit asap !!
At 23:48 27/05/2008, Tom Wigley wrote:

Steve et al.,
Sorry, but I agree with quick submission, but not with giving
anything to Douglass until the paper appears in print.
I guess the reason John likes 1.2 is because it agrees best
with UAH MSU -- which, as we all know, has been inspired by
and blessed by God, and so MUST be right.
Steven Sherwood wrote:

Hi Ben,
I for one am happy with submission pronto, leaving to your discretion the comments I
sent earlier.
I wouldn't feel too threatened by the likes of Douglass. This paper will likely be
accepted as is upon resubmission, given the reviews, so why not just send him a copy too
once it is ready and final.
On a related note I've heard from John Christy who stated his opposition to the new
Allen+Sherwood article/method (who would've thought). He argues that Leo's v1.2 dataset
is the "best" version because the later ones are contaminated by artifacts in ERA-40 due
to Pinatubo. This argument made no sense to me on several levels (one of which:
Pinatubo erupted almost exactly in the middle of the time period of interest, thus
should have no impact on any linear trend). But there it is.
On May 27, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Ben Santer wrote:

Dear folks,
I just wanted to alert you to an issue that has arisen in the last few days. As you
probably know, a paper by Robert Allen and Steve Sherwood was published last week in
"Nature Geoscience". Peter Thorne was asked to asked to write a "News and Views" piece
on the Allen and Sherwood paper. Peter's commentary on Allen and Sherwood briefly
referenced our joint International Journal of Climatology (IJoC) paper. Peter discussed
this with me about a month ago, and I saw no problem with including a reference to our
IJoC paper. The reference in Peter's "News and Views" contribution is very general, and
gives absolutely no information on the substance of our IJoC paper.
At the time Peter I discussed this issue, I had high hopes that our IJoC manuscript
would now be very close to publication. I saw no reason why publication of Peter's "News
and Views" piece should cause us any concern. Now, however, it is obvious that David
Douglass has read the "News and Views" piece and wants a copy of our IJoC paper in
advance of its publication - in fact, before a final editorial decision on the paper has
been reached. Dr. Douglass has written to me and to Peter, requesting a copy of our IJoC
paper. In his letter to Peter, Dr. Douglass has claimed that failure to provide him
(Douglass) with a copy of our IJoC paper would contravene the ethics policies of the
journal "Nature".
As you can see from my reply to Dr. Douglass, I feel strongly that we should not give
him an advance copy of our paper. However, I think we should resubmit our revised
manuscript to IJoC as soon as possible. The sooner we receive a final editorial decision
on our paper, the less likely that it is that Dr. Douglass will be able to cause
problems. With your permission, therefore, I'd like to resubmit our revised manuscript
by no later than close of business tomorrow. I've incorporated most of the suggested
changes I've received from you in the past few days. My personal feeling is that we've
now reached the point of diminishing returns, and that's it's more important to get the
manuscript resubmitted than to engage in further iterations about relatively minor
details. I will circulate a final version of the revised paper and the response to the
reviewers later this evening.
Please let me know if resubmission by C.O.B. tomorrow is not acceptable to you.
With best regards,
Benjamin D. Santer
Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and Intercomparison
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
P.O. Box 808, Mail Stop L-103
Livermore, CA 94550, U.S.A.
Tel: (925) 422-2486
FAX: (925) 422-7675
email: santer1@llnl.gov <[1]mailto:santer1@llnl.gov>

Steven Sherwood
Steven.Sherwood@yale.edu <[2]mailto:Steven.Sherwood@yale.edu>
Yale University ph: 203 432-3167
P. O. Box 208109 fax: 203 432-3134
New Haven, CT 06520-8109

Prof. Phil Jones
Climatic Research Unit Telephone +44 (0) 1603 592090
School of Environmental Sciences Fax +44 (0) 1603 507784
University of East Anglia
Norwich Email p.jones@uea.ac.uk


1. mailto:santer1@llnl.gov
2. mailto:Steven.Sherwood@yale.edu
3. http://www.geology.yale.edu/~sherwood

No comments:

Post a Comment